Monthly styles for 2017 meetings
- Beers with at least 20% rye
- The first theme for 2017 will be Rye malt! Any style of beer is acceptable, whether it is a classic example such as Roggenbier or something off the beaten path like a Rye Porter or RyePA, as long as it contains at least 20% rye malt. Bring your favorite rye creation or try something new!
- Oatmeal Stout (2015 BJCP Style 16B)**
- This is the first of our four HBOY competition months!
- A very dark, full-bodied, roasty, malty ale with a complementary oatmeal flavor. The sweetness, balance, and oatmeal impression can vary considerably.
- Anything Imperial
- The theme this month is "Anything Imperial". This would include the usual suspects (Imperial Stout, Imperial Pale Ale, Double IPA, Barleywine, etc...), but may also include new creations such as Imperial Pislner or Imperial Porter. Basically, any variation on a style of beer that is bigger, stronger, hoppier, more intense, more "royal" than the beers that inspired it.
- SCHF Bragging Rights Style
- We will vote on the entries this month to determine who will submit our club's entry for the bragging rights competition at the 2017 Southern California Homebrew Festival.
- The official style for this competition is "Lagers of any style".
- American Pale Ale (2015 BJCP Style 18B)**
- This is the second of our four HBOY competition months!
- A pale, refreshing and hoppy ale, yet with sufficient supporting malt to make the beer balanced and drinkable. The clean hop presence can reflect classic or modern American or New World hop varieties with a wide range of characteristics. An average-strength hop-forward pale American craft beer, generally balanced to be more accessible than modern American IPAs.
- Any fermentable beverage except beer
- The theme for June is other fermentables. Have a wine you want to share? A mead? Sauerkraut? Cider? If you fermented it and it's not beer, please share it!
- Anything Belgian
- Our theme for July is Belgian beer. Anything belgian, whether a classic style or not, is within our theme. From Belgian pale ale, to saison, to trappist ales, to Flanders... everything is welcome!
- Biere de Garde (2015 BJCP 24C)**
- This is the third of our four HBOY competition months!
- A fairly strong, malt-accentuated, lagered artisanal beer with a range of malt flavors appropriate for the color. All are malty yet dry, with clean flavors and a smooth character.
- 5 Minute Beers
- One of our board members mentioned a past club activity with this name, and we'd like to try it again this year. We'll have more details as we are closer to the date on this.
- (Intentionally) Sour Beers
- Our theme for October are sour beers, preferably soured on purpose. Again, as all of our themed months, style is not particularly important. Bring in that Berliner Weisse or Flanders Red or American Fruit Sour. Whether it's aged for 2 years in a barrel or kettle soured, it's all good and we'd love to try yours, so bring it in!
- Marzen (2015 BJCP 6A)**
- Our final HBOY competition month! At the end of this month, we'll be able to crown the 2017 HBOY. Unlike the past few years, there will be no double points for this month.
- An elegant, malty German amber lager with a clean, rich, toasty and bready malt flavor, restrained bitterness, and a dry finish that encourages another drink. The overall malt impression is soft, elegant, and complex, with a rich aftertaste that is never cloying or heavy.
- Beers with Spices / Holiday Beers
- Final tasting of the year and a chance for all the brewers of spiced beers and other holiday beers to show what they have created for the holidays, and share some of that holiday spirit with the rest of the club!